Saturday, November 26, 2005

Backseat Driver

The most hilarious thing just happened. I was making a left turn from 119th Street onto the Whitemud. To get onto the Whitemud (westbound) I had to go through an intersection, over an overpass, and turn left at the second intersection.

The funny part was when my mom went hysterical with some typical backseat driving. We were approaching the first intersection (with a "no left turns" sign) and she started yelling that I was missing my turn. She had such conviction and was so loud about it that it was all I could do to keep the car on the road. Somehow I ignored her and made my way to the second intersection. I then stopped to yield to oncoming trafic before making a legal left turn onto the Whitemud. All the while she never ceased her rant.

I told her that if she was going to backseat drive that I expect her to at least pay attention. When she starts screaming directions at me it only serves as a distraction and negatively effects my driving and reasoning. I also told her that for her own safty (not to mention mine) that she should invest in a blindfold.

Later she made the rediculous claim that I had been going too fast "for her comfort". I responded and told her that I was in fact going too fast to make the illegal left turn but that I had been going the speed limit and had even stopped for the correct turn (to allow oncoming trafic to pass). Her next excuse was that she conveniently had a headache.

This isn't the only time she has done something like this. I was making a left turn when she yelled not to go. The car was already moving and I knew that I had plenty of time, but her yelling made me hesitate. I made the turn normally (still having plenty of time) but that could easily have not been the case. I even have my aunt as a witness. She told my mom that her backseat driving is dangerous, but this was casually ignored.

No comments: